Skip to main content

Straightforward Communication

The biggest boon to our species is arguably the use of language and the availability of over a hundred thousand words in our languages to give our thoughts shape and communicate effectively. And therein lies the problem. Despite this huge boon, most of us seem to be unable to communicate properly. That's fine, but it leads to people interpreting things differently. I, for one, prefer straight, direct communication above all.

I do not tolerate half-truths and lies and I find it extremely difficult myself to lie. Therefore, I simply choose a course of action and stick to it. Now, keep in mind that in such situations, you never know what the right course of action is. You can only guess at what the right thing to do would be, but do not, I repeat, absolutely do not compromise on your standards or expectations. Do not let your ego take a hit, remind yourself that any honest person deserves the same kind of honesty back in return. After all, do onto others as you would have done onto yourself, but do only up to a limit. After that, treat everyone just as they treat you. That's fair game.

My Approach

Step 1: Understand the unsaid

In order to be able to decide what to do and what to avoid, you need to know what's going on. And there's no way in hell you're going to get to know that from the horse's mouth. So what do you do?

Well, with experience, you learn to take the best guess at the underlying issue. Recognizing the possible issues has always been a skill that even top entrepreneurs strive to gain. That's to be expected, wouldn't you envy someone who can always make the right choices simply due to smart guesswork? So here's the lesson from step 1 - look at the cause of concern and understand the actual issue by thorough thinking (consider all possibilities).

Step 2: Weigh your options

Once you've identified the possible causes and issues, prepare a list of solutions for each scenario. Be sure to include strict actions as well as lenient ones - they affect you as well as your equation with the person in question.

The next thing you need to determine is the graveness of the half-truth/lie. Was it something grave? Could it be a huge problem in the future? Or can you simply not tolerate things being hidden from you or half-truths/lies (just like me)? Once you answer these questions, you must also ask yourself, how much does the person in question matter to me? These questions help you determine which option to select from the list that you've prepared. And you know what? You're just one step away from being done!

Step 3: Taking the decision

What's the best way to take your decision if it involves no speech with the other person? You simply get on with it! What's the best way when you ought to inform someone about your decision? That's easy! Straightforward Communication! Simply speak out and let them know about the conclusion that you have come to and tell them about the decision you've made! While that may not be as easy to implement when you're actually facing the said person, that's what you ought to do. Besides, wouldn't you expect the same?

Step 4: Stick to your decision!!!

Unless you have substantial proof that your assumptions were wrong, stick to your decision and remind yourself of why you made it in the first place. This is the most important step because it helps determine your character - are you someone who actually goes through with what they decide or are you a weak-willed coward?


So don't fret, your guide to dealing with the lack of straightforward communication is right here, and if you need something more to go on, just drop a comment and I'll address your views right away!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immaterial

I bought a dress, said she Black as the colour of the grime on your arms As you parley with the foreman for a quick break Only to sneak across the road from your workplace And steal a glance at me. I bought some lipstick, said she Red as the colour of my velvet lace To match your bloodstained handkerchief As you wipe your wounds dry I watch you yonder. I bought an earring silver, Silver as the stars tonight, silver as the glistening mist That settles upon the grass, come dawn, As I watch you leave yet again, To tire endlessly, afresh. I bought instruments and objects, galore And yet I have no use of them As I watch, nay, I stare, You toil intensely, anew, every single day. What use, pray tell, have I of riches, When they cannot buy me you?

Psyche

Thoughts, wretched thoughts, Why strike me down so? Keep me awake, keep me aghast Thy torment is unparalleled. Emotion, dissolute emotion, A man must avoid at costs unspoken. Tear my walls, churn my gut, Thy burn has no soothing. Impulse, Desire and Yearning, O sisters three, mistresses of my nights, Much too fickle, reinless and free, What remedy cures thy sting? Maladies of the mind, Incorrigible disorders of the heart, Chain me up and rip me to shreds But do not let me succumb to hope. Hope, O merciful lady of mine, Blissful ignorance I crave from thee. Afraid, terrified, horror-stricken I am. Capricious thou are, I know not when Thy nature be true, or false, I know not, I cower from thee, distrustful. And yet it is precisely to hope that I cling, I flirt, frolic and find myself fond with thee .

This is it

Hi! I'm Ashutosh Matai, a 20-something-year-old that enjoys programming, reading and tackling problems. Yep, you read that right - I enjoy facing problems. No, I'm not a masochist (laughs nervously), but I am someone who has seen a handful of things go down. I've been under crippling depression and anxiety, I've lost sight of my life and seen a lot of family drama. Suffice to say, in my 20-something-years of existence, I have truly learned. So here's my two cents, accompanied by the occasional poem. I hope you take something of my experiences and make your own lives better, for you, dear reader, are in for a hell of a ride.